How you can request a password on Portal das Finanças
If you have never requested a password on the Portal das Finanças website, registration on the portal is the first step. For this you will need to complete the registration form.
- Go to https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/. On the home page click on "Registar-se" (Register") at the top right corner.
- To register your NIF click "Registo NIF" and fill in your taxprayer number (NIF). When the NIF number is written, click "Registo com NIF".
- In the form, you need to indicate your personal data:
- Taxpayer number (NIF);
- Fiscal address. If the address in your NIF is outside of Portugal - fill in the local address of your Portuguese fiscal representative (find it in your NIF, page 2 - "Representante", "Morada".
- You will also need to define a security question. This is important because you will need it if you forget or lose your password.
- After filling in this information, click at the bottom right on “Register” (Registar).
- The confirmation of successfully requested password.
You are going to receive a physical letter to your tax address, which will also contain a password for online access.
- Password example.
The definitive password to access the Portuguese tax authorities is sent via CTT (and never by e-mail) within an average of 14 working days. If you had a representative, it will be delivered to him.
The sending of the final password is always made to the tax address which is registered with the Portuguese tax authorities.